Welcome to Day 4 of cookie week!
If you’re just now joining us for Cookie Week 2018, head on over to check out the recipes from earlier this week:
Today I’m sharing my recipe for Gluten-Free Lemon Drizzle Cookies!
Gluten-Free Lemon Drizzle Cookies
For the cookies
- 1½ cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- ¾ teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if your blend already contains it)
⅓ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
⅔ cup powdered sugar
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg white, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice, plus more as necessary
For the drizzle
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 – 4 teaspoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, xanthan gum, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and confectioners’ sugar. Add the lemon zest and mix to combine. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the butter, egg white and 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice, mixing to combine after each addition. The dough will be thick and smooth. Add more lemon juice by the half-teaspoonful and knead it in with clean, dry hands as necessary to bring the dough together.
- Scoop the dough by the heaping tablespoon onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 1 1/2-inches between pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a round between the palms of your hands, and press down slightly into a thick disk. Press with the moistened tines of a fork into a small bowl of granulated sugar, then press down on the top of each piece of dough until the tines leave an impression about 1/4-inch deep. Place the baking sheet in the center of the preheated oven and bake until the cookies are lightly golden brown on the edges and firm to the touch (about 12 minutes). Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.
- When the cookies are cool, make the drizzle glaze. In a small bowl, place the confectioners’ sugar and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, and mix well. Add more lemon juice by the half-teaspoon, stirring to combine after each addition until you have a smooth but very thickly pourable glaze. Drizzle the glaze in a zig-zag pattern on top of each cooled cookie. Once drizzle glaze is set, store in an airtight container.
Let me know how your cookies turn out in the comments! And be sure to subscribe to this blog and be the first to know when the next Cookie Recipe is posted!