You didn’t come here to hear about our Easter traditions (rather, a lack thereof) or how much I love my dog (but isn’t she the cutest?) … you came here for the recipe. So here it is: my recipe for Homemade Chicken Dog Biscuits with Peanut Butter Icing dyed with raspberries and blueberries.
- 3 small jars of organic chicken baby food
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cup rice flour (plus more for rolling)
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter, divided
- 6 tablespoons arrowroot flour, divided
- handful raspberries
- handful blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray it with coconut oil.
- In a mixing bowl, empty the jars of baby food and mix with the egg.
- Gradually stir in the rice flour, just a little at a time, until the consistency of the dough is almost like play dough.
- Lightly dust a surface with rice flour and roll the dough to about 1/4″ thick. Cut into desired shapes.
- Bake for approximately 12-15 minutes. Let cool.
- While biscuits bake, make the icing tint. Start by placing handful of fruit of choice into small saucepan with approximately 3/4 cup water and smash. Bring the smashed fruit and water to a boil and let it reduce to about 1/3. Strain, reserving the liquid and discarding the fruit seeds and flesh (compost if you can!). Repeat with the other fruit. Let cool.
- While biscuits cool, make the icing. Place approximately 1 tablespoon of peanut in each of 3 small containers. Add approximately 2 tablespoons of arrowroot flour to each and stir to combine. To one, add a tablespoon of blueberry fruit dye and mix to combine. Repeat with the raspberry dye in another container. To the third container, add just a tablespoon of water and mix. Continue to add water to each container until the desired spreading consistency is achieved.
- Spread icing onto the cooled biscuits.
- Store in a sealed container in the freezer.