Lemon and blueberries… a match made in heaven. Is there anything more perfect than this pairing?
I could tell you all about how moist this cake is, or how buttermilk and lemon zest give it just the right amount of tang to compliment the sweet berries. But today I’ll just let the pictures do the talking…
If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can substitute by adding a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to regular milk and letting it sit for 10 minutes.
Remember to coat the blueberries with flour. This prevents them from sinking to the bottom of the batter once in the baking pan.
The batter will be thick and your blueberries should be distributed evenly throughout.
The light sprinkling of sugar on top creates a beautiful golden color while baking.
I sincerely hope you enjoy this recipe! It’s light and refreshing while still being a treat for breakfast. Let me know how yours turned out in the comments!
And be sure to follow this blog so you won’t miss my next Culinary Crusade!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup sugar plus a separate 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1¾ cups flour plus a separate ¼ cup flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1¼ tsp. salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup buttermilk (can substitute with 1/2 cup 2% milk mixed with 1 tbsp vinegar)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease a square 8-inch baking pan with butter or cooking spray. I like to use a round one, as pictured.
- Whisk together 1¾ cups flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour and set aside.
- Cream together the butter, lemon zest and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy with an electric mixer.
- Then, mix in the egg and vanilla until combined.
- Gradually mix in the flour mixture and buttermilk by hand, alternating each between stirring. Batter will be thick.
- Gently fold in the flour-coated blueberries.
- Pour batter into pan and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the top with 1 tbsp sugar.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving. This will keep for a few days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.